Responsibilities of the ETSC
The Education and Training Service Centre (ETSC) operates in
accordance with the service contract with The Ministry of
Education, Science and Culture. Its main responsibilities
- Writing curricula and programme descriptions and
collaborating with ETSC's contracted partners in their
- Ensuring the development and dissemination of methods to
validate non-formal and informal learning, as well as monitoring
their implementation and providing training and feedback to
- Supervising the development of guidance and counselling
for ETSC's target group in cooperation with educational providers
and specialists in Iceland and abroad, and sharing this knowledge
with professionals in the field.
- Identifying the educational needs of the target group in
cooperation with the employment sector and educational providers in
order to develop an inventory of long- and short-term courses to
meet those needs.
- Developing methods in the field of accredited adult
education in cooperation with educational providers and
communicating both national and international innovations to
- Enhancing the quality of educational activities and
guidance by accredited educational providers through the
development of quality standards in consultation with the Ministry
of Education, Science and Culture.
- Collecting, maintaining and sharing information on the
target group and its educational needs.
- Administering The Education Fund and its
- Developing and maintaining a student registry in
cooperation with educational providers and the Ministry of
Education, Science and Culture, taking into account the validation
of informal study and non-formal learning.
The Education and Training Service Centre also undertakes various
projects in adult education in collaboration with the Ministry of
Education, Science and Culture, the owners of ETSC and other
partners. ETSC also hosts the Icelandic coordinator in the Nordic
Network for Adult Learning (NVL).